Re: [xsl] What is the best way to get the value of a leaf element and store it into a variable?

Subject: Re: [xsl] What is the best way to get the value of a leaf element and store it into a variable?
From: "David Carlisle d.p.carlisle@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:17:19 -0000
On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 at 12:02, Roger L Costello costello@xxxxxxxxx <

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a variable which holds a leaf element:
>
>         $leaf-elmt
>
> I want to store the value of the leaf element into this variable:
>
>         $leaf-elmt-value
>
> What is the best way to declare $leaf-elmt-value and assign it the value
> of $leaf-elmt? Here are 3 ways of doing it:
>
> <xsl:variable name="leaf-elmt-value" select="$leaf-elmt" />
> <xsl:variable name="leaf-elmt-value" select="$leaf-elmt/text()"/>
> <xsl:variable name="leaf-elmt-value" select="data($leaf-elmt)" />
>
> Are there other ways?
>
> What is the best way?

They all generate different things so neither question has an answer.

The first returns an element, the second returns a sequence of one or more
text nodes (>1 if there are comments in the original)

and the third returns an atomic value depending on the declared type if you
have schema processing

> I have deliberately avoided defining what "best way" means. I am hoping
> that you will tell me what it means.

No, you need to decide:-)

David