Re: [stella] Cubis the text

Subject: Re: [stella] Cubis the text
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 21:30:47 +0100
>He means pushing up to slow it down BEFORE you drop it.  In many (most?)
>Tetris variations you can slow the bricks' descent by pushing up to give
>you more time to think.  Of course, at high enough levels, this has no
>effect whatsoever.

I don't think I like this idea. Being able to slow down the bricks sounds
like cheating the game to me.

>Can't you just change the register value while drawing each line?

I could, but not fast enough. Loading a value from zeropage takes three cycles
and storing the value to a register takes another three cycles. For each
cycle there are three pixels drawn. Each collumn is only four pixels wide,
so it won't work.

It could be done using interlacing and the five sprites trick, but it would
result inf a flickering picture much more need for fast RAM to store the
colourvalues for each collumn and much more complicated checking routines.
So I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg
2stolber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx