Re: [stella] Maybe you can help... (fwd)

Subject: Re: [stella] Maybe you can help... (fwd)
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:41:55 -0800
Glenn Saunders wrote:
> My question is this: Since I'm using the ball to be those features,
> and it
> shares the register with the playfield, will any background also
> change to
> the hair (beard, etc) color? BTW: The background is always a back
> wall, and two side walls, depending on whether or not there is an
> available exit.  Is there any visible remedy you see?

The COLUPF register sets the color of the playfield and the ball.  You
can change the color from one scan line to the next, and potentially in
mid-scanline. But when the the ball and the playfield are both being
drawn on the same line you have the potential for the two objects
blending together.  The easy way out is to make the playfield empty, so
the character is never really on top of the playfield, but on top of the
background.  The COLUBK register sets the color for that, so it can be
different than the ball.  Use the playfield registers to fill in
*around* the area where the player and ball graphics sit on top of the
background to create the illusion of walls.

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/