Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 12:31:25 -0700 (MST)

>At 01:00 AM 3/3/97 -0700, Nick S Bensema wrote:
>>Of course, but this isn't exactly bartending school.  The only reason I
>>know what I do about the 2600 is because I've pulled Combat apart, and I
>>decided to look at those cycle counts in the middle of my C64 ref, seeing
>>as it'd be hard to avoid if I ever really got into it.
>
>Still, one of the problems is when today's programmers rely on only the
>most basic 2600 examples as a reference.  If that is the standard, then
>each programmer will have to rediscover the tricks which programmers
>routinely used after 1977, or just stick to a 1977 yardstick for new game
>development, which would be sad.  It's not 1977 anymore.  That's where the
>Starpath source code is important.  We're not working with a lowest common

Actually I think Combat is a terrific example of programming.  It employs
some very important techniques, such as vector motion, sound, and turning
one game into many games simply by changing the shape and a few other
properties.  That mode of thinking could make a good game better, if one
realizes "hey, if I change these shapes and this goal, and this rule, I
can make this Soccer game into a Hockey/Soccer game!" or such things.
And, since it's 2K, it's not beyond too many people's level of
comprehension.  I shall continue to work on it until I've figured out
the whole of it.

>I'd prefer the list not simply be a meetingplace for programmers to demo
>their beta-test programs in which the vast majority of the learning is "you
>are on your own, kid".  I'd like this to be a font of knowledge of 2600
>Programming techniques, and I mean techniques that eventually go beyond
>Combat or even Freeway.

How about Defender?

You forget that practically every program that has been uploaded to this
list has included source code, much of it fairly full of comments.  You
also forget that most of the people on this list only have a few hours
a week with which to experiment, and the 2600 demands much more if you're
going to achieve the results of SC Frogger.

Like I said, this ain't bartending school.  I'm proud that this list
has generated even this much progress, and I'm certain it will generate
even more.  But we've got a ways to go.  Don't think we're not trying.