[stella] Re: POLL

Subject: [stella] Re: POLL
From: Lost In The Zone <pinball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:54:47 GMT
> I'd like to take a poll:
>
> How many people on the list are planning to write a 2600 game?

I'd like to, eventually, but I don't see it happening in the very near future.
More short term, I'd like to be able to do some simple demos - draw a box,
put my name on the screen - something more simple.

> Describe the game you are planning (genre, size/#loads, level of
> graphical detail, controller type).

Way too early for this kind of talk :)

> What level of skill are you at in 6502 assembly?
>
> Willing to Learn

I've got some x86 asm experience, though I'm certainly no expert.  I've read
the 6502 opcodes & some 6502 source and understand generally what's going
on.  Suffice to say that I don't think learning 6502 assembler is the
Hard Part of programming the VCS.

> What level of skill are you at working on the 2600 in particular?
>
> Willing to Learn

I've read most of the programming docs available on the net, and frankly
they're scary.  I think I'm understanding more and more what's going on,
though.  I plan on taking a really good look at Nick B's 'hello' demo
he recently posted when I get a good chunk of free time - it seems to
be just what I've been looking for - a relatively simple program with lots
and lots of comments for us beginners throughout.

> How much time do you have to reach your goals in 2600 programming?

Well, I'm only 20, I'd like to think I have quite a while :)
Seriously, between work and school, I see time as the main hinderance to
my getting much work done in this area.

> What could be done to create more of an incentive to learn and program
> more aggressively?

Pay me such an incredible amount of money that I could quit school, and never
have to worry about having a Real Job.

In any case, I think this forum will be valuable to me, in the event that I
do someday have the time to put something together.  In the meantime, I'll
lurk.. I find the discussion interesting.

--Jay