Re: [stella] let's go back to work!

Subject: Re: [stella] let's go back to work!
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:44:42 -0700 (MST)
>As soon as there is need for more freedom in objects positions, some
>flickering is likely to happen.

That's a good point.  Many games simply choose to avoid the possibility
of dealing with flickering by letting object move freely, but not letting
them infringe on each other's vertical space, i.e. Berzerk.  Other games
use intelligent movement algorithms to allow what looks like free
vertical movement which somehow can always be drawn with just two players,
i.e. Moon Patrol.

>Example: the second screen of Imagic Dragonfire.

[clip]

>See also Telesys' Fastfood: player can be anywhere (first sprite), food has
>only one-directional movement and there aren't two pieces of food in the
>same vertical zone (second sprite repositioned).
>
>There can be many variations of this concept, for example in vertical
>shooters the player loses one degree of freedom and is always alone at the
>bottom so that the two sprites can be used for more aliens in the space
>above. "Demon Attack" is very interesting from this point of view...

Also see River Raid, which draws all the enemies, fuel tanks, and scenery
against the playfield with one player, while the other player is used for
the ship.

>Conclusion: the next step from simple Combat/Adventure/Pong :-) games could
>be to write games falling in this wide category:
>
>first sprite=player, second sprite (recycled)=many enemies.
>Now we need a clear, well commented code for drawing this kind of screens.
>Any idea?

We need to figure out how River Raid does it.

I think this is a good idea, because Street Racer had a great many
good ideas on variations of the now-old dodge-obstacles game, none of
which involved shooting.  If Street Racer could come up with those kinds
of variations in 1977-78 (my Street Racer has a number label), then
certainly we can find something interesting to do with it.

>P.S.: what do you think of my english? Is it clear enough for you? :-))

Better than my Spanish, German, or Japanese.  And my Spanish is pretty
good.