Re: [stella] let's go back to work!

Subject: Re: [stella] let's go back to work!
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 12:46:20 -0700 (MST)
>It is very interesting to compare "Mousetrap" vs. M Network's "Lock'n'Chase".
>These games are very similiar and both show no flickering in player or
>enemies sprites, but there is a big difference:
>
>In the first, you'll never see two cats in the same horizontal corridor
>(the easiest way to avoid flicker), while "Lock'n'Chase" can have up to two
>enemies in the same vertical corridor!
>
>This means that there can be three objects in the same vertical space with
>independent horizontal movement: 2 enemies + player, and without ficker.
>I bet that Lock'n'Chase code is much more complex. Congratulations, unknown
>M Network programmer!

I suspect that at least one of those enemies is really a missile, utilizing
clever use of the NUSIZ and HMOVE registers.  They sure look like players,
though, don't they?

Hmove can be a very valuable tool for getting more than you bargained for
from a player or missile.  Look at Stampede, for example.  Those horses
and cattle are plainly wider than 8 pixels, yet have really good horizontal
resolution.