Re: [stella] demo update: PCMSD20.BIN

Subject: Re: [stella] demo update: PCMSD20.BIN
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 21:29:39 GMT
>>Yes, they're too fast. I've also tried to enable sprite-replication for the
>>balls - looks great so this feature will be added sooner or later.
>
>So, you'll have to hit several balls on each line?  That would add
>some difficulty (that could be a good thing).  Will the balls bounce
>off each each other (that would be neat, but would probably cause
>flicker) or just go back and forth as a group?

Sprite-replication could only make them go back and forth as a group (think
the cars and other stuff in Frogger that come in groups of two or three.)

>Sounds like the way the ship in Asteroids accelerates to me.  Perhaps
>the difficulty switches should control the rate of acceleration?
>(Faster being harder, I think.)

That'd be more of a game-speed switch than a difficulty switch, but it's an
idea.

>watch on the "second board."  Are you planning on adding any
>randomness, or will you depend on humans' inability to precisely
>repeat the same actions twice to do it for you?

I have a random number generator that works pretty well.  At power-up, it
always initializes to the same value, but if you call it once every frame
whether you need a random number or not, you'll have a pretty darn random
number by the time the user presses Reset.

>Am I correct that the 2600 reset switch actually has to be recognized
>by the software for it to do anything?  In other words, you could

Correct.  The 2600's CPU is a 6507, which is a variant of the 6502 that has
8k address space and no interrupt lines.  Reset only does what a game makes
it do.  This is also why not all games respond to the color/BW switch -
it's not programmed in.

>If I keep reading this list, I'm going to have to take a crack at
>programming.  I'm sure the Nexus would suffer for it. 8)  If anyone
>thinks discussion of game design in off-topic to this list, just let
>me know and I'll move it to private e-mail.  (I'm sometimes do it
>accidentally anyway due to the way follow-ups are set.)

Not at all, I think.. we've finally unraveled most of the hardware
mysteries and can move on to actual game design.

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/