Re: [stella] Color-cycling

Subject: Re: [stella] Color-cycling
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:13:04 -0700 (MST)
IT'S SOFTWARE, I TELL YOU!  SOFTWARE!!!!

Most games use an EOR or ADC on every write to color registers against a
memory location in RAM which holds zero when there's no attract mode, and
some pseudorandom number when there is.  I've seen the source code to Combat,
Defender, and Pitfall, and this is the method used in each of them.

Not all games use the color cycling method as an attract mode.  Some games
have a "demo game" running, while others run a cute animation sequence.
See Joust, Ms. Pac-Man, and Moon Patrol.