Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: emooney1@xxxxxxxx (Erik K Mooney)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:48:03 -0400
>You may be saying, Space Taxi is an action game!  Certainly it's LESS
>suited
>for the Supercharger than an RPG.  Well, you would think so, but the
>beauty
>of using different loads for different sections is that you can put
>more
>than just another 2K of level data and some new enemy graphics in
>there.
>You can make phases of a game completely different, sacrificing code
>not
>needed for one level to make room for new features in another.  This
>applies to RPGs as well.

It does apply to RPGs.  The one I'm envisioning needs separate display
kernels for displaying the main landscape, displaying characters' text,
and during combat.  Problem is, would you want to do a load every time
a character speaks or you entered or exited a battle?  Would really
destroy the continuity of play.  A 16k game works in that situation.. it
can swap out the main display kernel during combat, and so on.

>In RPG's, this could be used to create puzzles and advanced-level
>monsters.
>RPG's lose the advantage Space Taxi has because in Space Taxi, levels
>are
>played one at a time sequentially*, while in an RPG it'd be nice to
>move
>around.  It also gains something in that in 16K, there might not be
>room
>for both code AND text, if text is going to be a part of this.  And
>the Dragonstomper approach worked for most people.

I'm leaving one 4k bank open for text in my plan... certainly not long,
involved storylines like in a Final Fantasy, but enough for "Welcome
to Castle Montor" or "Bring this to the witch".

>* the Commodore 64 version had a "random play" mode, but if the loads
> are "flexible" enough, a CD player in random mode might have the same
>  effect.

Sounds like this could be applied to a TRON for the 2600...?