Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: Chris Wilkson - MCD <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:41:59 -0700 (PDT)
> This was in response to the urging on rgvc that they go this route.  They
> would not have done this on their own.  Yet they are sticking to their
> guns on the banked ROM cartridge format.  Sometimes you have to learn the
> hard way...

I wasn't around for the first round of rpg discussion that everyone refers
to, so I may be wrong, but I do believe that Erik's project has nothing to
do with that one.

What's so hard about it?  The only negative of using a cartridge is price.
I agree with you 100%...carts are expensive.  But from a potential market
point of view, the cart market has much more potential.  Yes superchargers
are available at a pretty good price, but still...everyone doesn't have one,
and not everyone will get one.

>From a programming standpoint, [alert: amatuer talking out the wrong end]
there is no more difficulty with a cart.  Some might argue that supercharger
games are more difficult to write.  [end of spewing forth aimlessly]

But I think we might all agree that the IMPORTANT thing is the gameplay and
the person who will be experiencing it.  From this pov, IMHO, there's no
comparison.  Who wants to wait for a multiload game?  Or even a single load
game, if they have a choice?

> > I'm not saying it will be done either; INV looked like it was just SO CLOSE
> > and then, bam... development ground to a halt.  This happens with amateur
> > projects.  Amateurs also tend to come up with things professionals never
> > thought og.

Thsi is a great example of Glenn's point.  You start something, but don't
finish it.  But as I remember it, INV was more of a proof of concept game.

> > So all I can do is wish my best luck to those who are working on this.

Thanks on behalf of all involved.  It's true that the programmers *will* need
to be devoted and have the favor of the gods to pull it off.  I won't be
involved with the coding...I know my limits.  But to those that want to giv
it a try, I think we should all be supportive of their efforts.

> I just have a pet peeve about people who are full of a lot of hot air when
> it comes to hobby projects, talking about them like they are really
> serious about it and hyping it like it's going to be this great thing, but
> never following through either because they can't or because they lose
> interest.  In this case it could be either or both, but in addition, it
> could be because they would not follow our advice and would rather do it
> the hard way.

Again, what is so hard about it?

> I take my hobbies seriously.  If it's worth doing at all, it's worth
> finishing, and it's worth finishing right.

Agreed.  But I would put "finishing right" way ahead of just "finishing".
I too, take my hobbies very seriously.  But with heading a startup, going
to school, *and* working 60+ hours a week at my real job, I just don't have
the time to devote that others might.  I'm sure that other people have similar,
or ever worse situations to deal with.  Everyone has their limits, and if
someone works on a project for too long, they're bound to get sick of it.
Writing a game takes a certain number of hours, and if you can only find a
couple of hours a week to work on it, where does it get you?

> There was a lot of hot air a few years ago about putting the Supercharger
> games on a CD.  I got pissed off by the inaction and hence the
> Supercharger CD was born.  It took ages, but I had a plan, put the team
> together, did it by the book, and it was good.  Talking about it and doing
> it are two different things.  I try not to hype something too much unless
> I feel it's a viable project.

Good job on the CD I've heard.  Wish I had one.  :(

> If this upsets the RPG people, great!
>
> Maybe it will encourage them to show that I was wrong.  I hope I AM wrong.
>
> Everyone loves a challenge, right?

Yep.  And this is certainly a good one.  Good luck Erik!

Whoah...what a ramble...

-Chris