Re: [stella] PCMSG24 - color/bw switch

Subject: Re: [stella] PCMSG24 - color/bw switch
From: Chris Wilkson - MCD <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:14:04 -0700 (PDT)
> >but the
> >most important thing is the NTSC/PAL selector using the Color/BW switch
> >(Color=NTSC, BW=Pal).
>
> The game looks good, but I need to point out that I decided not to use the color/bw switch foro Pal/NTSC because 7800's do not have one!  While the pause switch does work like the color/bw switch, there is no way to latch it on, so you will not be able to lock NTSC if you go that route.  I had to settle for a difficulty switch on Okie Dokie.  At any rate, it's food for thought!

How about a software latch?  Maybe somthing like this:  Have a ram location
dedicated to storing the video display mode.  A single bit would do.  Say
NTSC=0, PAL=1.  During initialization, make NTSC the default display. (bit=0)
To check for the video mode, first check the bit.  If it's a 1, then the test
is finished...you're in PAL mode.  Check the switch only if the bit's a 0.
If the switch is on the PAL setting, then set the bit in ram.  Otherwise,
you're in NTSC mode.

This might be done as a title screen option to save cycles later.  During the
game, simply do what the bit tells you to do.  This way, the player can select
the video mode using the BW/Color switch or the 7800's pause switch.  The only
cost would be in ram.

-Chris