[stella] RESCUE.BIN update

Subject: [stella] RESCUE.BIN update
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 00:44:57 -0700
There's a lot of weird changes to the graphics, and I'm not sure I
really like them.  One thing about adding all the single scanline color
changes to the player graphics is that it just doesn't look good with a
plain black background.  Maybe something is better than the
brown-orange-pinkish thing going on now--but with all the changes to the
kernel code going on, I haven't really had much time to also do a lot of
experimenting with the billions of color combinations now possible ;)  I
think the mothership and asteroids look pretty cool, especially on real
TV, but the other stuff is kinda iffy...

Missiles have been added to the kernel, but for now only half the full
functionality: the asteroids turn to spaceships when you rescue a guy,
and the spaceships shoot at you pretty viciously.  Only one bad guy
shoots at a time, but the missile comes at you one scanline per frame,
with another immediately following, so it can sometimes be pretty tough
getting back safely.  I figure I can just duplex one missile register at
30fps, alternating the bad guy missiles with the player's shots, but the
game logic to pull that off will take me a while longer.

I'm going to be pretty busy with my day job the next week or two, so I
probably won't be able to make many significant changes for a while.
But let me know what you think and I'll try and incorporate anything I
can that seems worthwhile.  I know the sounds are pretty irritating, but
again, time to just diddle and experiment is not plentiful right now.

As always, the latest .bin is at http://www.crl.com/~mor/rescue.bin

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/