R: [stella] RESCUE.BIN update

Subject: R: [stella] RESCUE.BIN update
From: "Piero Cavina" <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 15:10:13 +0200
> Da: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
> A: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Oggetto: [stella] RESCUE.BIN update
> Data: domenica 14 settembre 1997 9.44

Please excuse me, but the #*@! Explorer always puts the headers in Italian
and I haven't yet found a way to change that...

> There's a lot of weird changes to the graphics, and I'm not sure I
> really like them.  One thing about adding all the single scanline color
> changes to the player graphics is that it just doesn't look good with a
> plain black background

I like the new colours and hate the sounds... :)
Advice: always try to include a decay in the volume of each sound effect...
that's what I've done in Oystron, and I think this makes them sound better.

> Missiles have been added to the kernel, but for now only half the full
> functionality: the asteroids turn to spaceships when you rescue a guy,
> and the spaceships shoot at you pretty viciously.

Be careful, I've been hit before I could take off from the platform. This
shouldn't happen...

>  I figure I can just duplex one missile register at
> 30fps, alternating the bad guy missiles with the player's shots, but the
> game logic to pull that off will take me a while longer.

I think that what is really missing is the retro-rockets fire, especially
in the landing phase... ok, I know it's difficult! :)
Maybe you could use the player's missile for this, making it wider than a
missile, and shifting it a few pixels back and forth, up and down from
frame to frame. Don't know if it would look like fire, but it might be
better than nothing.

Also, you need the spaceship explosion. If your kernel can't accept
animations, try background color-cycling...

> I'm going to be pretty busy with my day job the next week or two, so I
> probably won't be able to make many significant changes for a while.
> But let me know what you think and I'll try and incorporate anything I
> can that seems worthwhile

You're at a very good point with the kernel, soon the game will need fine
tuning so you'd better find some free time :)

P.