Re: [stella] Source for DASM?

Subject: Re: [stella] Source for DASM?
From: Teknovore <tek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 05:41:43 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

> I do have a c-compiler on my ISP.  That is, my ISP has FreeBSD and though
> the Linux tools on Nick Bensema's page won't work, I was thinking maybe I
> could compile DASM on my ISP account and just ftp the assembled binaries
> to myself.  Would that work and where could I get the code?

I'm afraid that would only work if a) your ISP had a cross-compiler
installed, or b) you too were running FreeBSD on an x86. (of course,
I'm assuming here that your ISP uses an x86 machine)

If you get the IBCS package for FreeBSD, (Intel Binary Compatability
Standard, I think. Let's you run binaries from other x86 UNIXes on an
x86 UNIX machine) then you could probably run the Linux bins there.

> I did try XA on the UNIX account as per Greg Troutman's suggestion, and
> for some reason my account didn't recognize the binary format.  I even
> called the ISP's cust service!  The horror!  ;)

I think that was due to platform differences. If you want to see if it
can run it, try "file mybin" and compare the output with "file /bin/ls".

Is source code to these important utilities a problem? If so, I'll offer
to write an assembler better suited to 2600 programming, and I'll make
sure it compiles for all the different platforms people need it for.

I'm working right now on the 6502 emulation core of an NES emulator, so
I have to have a decent knowledge of the 6502, and it's instructions,
both documented and undocumented. (heh, I don't know why they're called
undocumented anymore, seems every document I read has them)

 "Nothing is to be feared but to be understood."  / Julian Squires  /
 "A fool and his data are soon parted- encrypt"  /  Teknovore      /
 "You can run but you'll only die tired!"       /   tek@xxxxxxx   /