Re: [stella] Newbie DASM questions

Subject: Re: [stella] Newbie DASM questions
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 22:12:25 -0800
The Swans' wrote:

> Well, it's Xmas time again, and you know what that means... I'm at the
> in-law's getting ready for the big family shin-dig.  It also means I'm
> not on my beloved Mac and that I'm finally able to use DASM...
>
> I got Combat off of Nick Bensema's page ("nbcombat.asm") which says that
> it will assemble with DASM.  I also got vcs.h from MoR's Dark Mage, and
> stuck that in the "dasm" folder with nbcombat.asm.  I then proceeded to
> type:
>
> dasm nbcombat.asm -f3 -otest.bin
>
> and got an "Error:  source is not resolvable." error.

To get more verbose error messages out of DASM, add the -v3 parameter to
the end of your invocation.  In this case, you should see that the Dark
Mage vcs.h file is missing the RESMP0 and RESMP1 variables needed in
Combat.  Ooops.  Sorry.  Just edit the file and add the following two
equates to it:

RESMP0	equ	$28
RESMP1	equ	$29

Combat should now assemble okay.

> Haven't had much
> more luck with Dark Mage, though I believe that that says it needs DASM
> 2.12 anyway.  I do get a .bin with Dark Mage, however, that makes crazy
> white noise.

Sound from Dark Mage?  Cool. ;)  I think you might just need to be sure
and run the right version the right way.  The 4K version *should* work
on either an emulator or a Supercharger.  The 6K version only works on
the Supercharger (or PCAE per the 8144 cutbin file hack provided by Bob
Colbert).  The 8K version only runs on emulators (most of them, I
think)...  Otherwise, the file must be corrupt, I'd guess...  Try
douwnloading it again.  If you still can't get it to work, let me know
exactly how you're trying to run it and I'll see if I can be of more
help.

> I am using DASM 2.02 on a Packard Bell running at 166 MHz blaa blaa
> [read: plenty to run DASM, huh?].
>
> Any suggestions?

First off, if you're going to be doing some real developing, I suggest
you either get the 2.12 version and make yourself successfully assemble
the 4K version of Dark Mage as an excercise, OR figure out how to
*modify* the 4K Dark Mage source code to successfully compile under
v2.02 of DASM.  That should be fun ;)

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/