[stella] Combat questions aka Close to a new Mac Dev System!

Subject: [stella] Combat questions aka Close to a new Mac Dev System!
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 97 15:27:39 -0500
Okay, well, in lieu of XP2 and b/c DASM isn't compiled for the Mac, I've
been having quite a time.  But I think I have something now that will
assemble 6502 programs.  As a test program, I've been using Combat off of
Nick Bensema's site.  I've been getting pretty familiar with Combat, but
wondered if you guys could help me with a few questions.

My assembler is having a tough time with these two lines of Combat:

SPRLO   byte  #<TankShape, #<PlaneShape, #<JetShape
SPRHI   byte  #>TankShape, #>PlaneShape, #>JetShape

And I can't figure out exactly what they are doing.  If I could, I think
I could change them into something that my assembler understands.
TankShape et al are the markers that deliniate the beginning of the
respective player design data.  That much I've got.  SPEL0 is only seen
one other time in this line:

InitField   LDX  GAMSHP
        LDA  SPRLO,X ;Appropriate something for velocity.
        STA  SHAPES      ;Velocity could double as sprite
        LDA  SPRHI,X ;shape.
        STA  SHAPES+1
        LDA  GAMVAR

This is shortly before address 1544.  As far as I can tell, the SPRLO and
'HI are the least and most significant bytes, respectively, for the
player shape data.  But what's with the greater than and less than
symbols and all the pound [#] signs above?  Can I replace them with
constant addresses?

Hopefully if I can get this stuff figured out and tons of other errors
don't pop up in the assembly, I will have bin's from source on the Mac.
I have had to change the command syntax in a few lines to compensate for
differences between this and DASM, but it really doesn't appear that
you'll need more than a few minutes with a text editor to clean source
intented for DASM up for the Mac.  But, as with everything I've even done
on a computer, I won't hold my breath.  As soon as I get Combat to work,
I'll write a quick post to this list about how to develope games on a Mac
and then start making a web page.

Thanks for any help, and thanks to those who have helped me to this point!

Ruffin Bailey
rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxx