Re: [stella] .byte and B&W questions

Subject: Re: [stella] .byte and B&W questions
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 16:15:06 +0100
>Okay, well, work has begun on my game.  And I've got two quick questions.
> First, what's the format for ".byte" commands?  Specificly, is there any
>set number of bytes that must come after (eg, multiple of two, 1, 8, etc)?

There are no restrictions. It can be anything between one and whatever
you can fit into the codeline. You can usually even mix different
number forms like decimal and hexadecimal.

>He didn't bother to check the game switches, and goodness knows I haven't
>added that yet.  What are some possibilities for this mix-up?  I've tried
>a number of different colors for the background and PF.  Right now the
>bkgd is black and the PF is off-white.  The original program ran in
>color.  I've got the .bin of my project on my web pages.  My mail
>handler, Em@iler, won't send attachments unless you compress them, and
>.zip isn't an option (I could .hqx for you Mac folk, but it's really not
>worth it! ;).

In cases like this, sending the souce code would have helped, since
it makes analyzing your program a lot easier. But if you want to
send BINs you could try UUencoding them by hand and include them
in your message. UUencoders and decoders should be available for
every operating system.

Your program just displays a black screen in PCAE. From what I have
seen, you do the colour setting with lines like:
LDA $06
STA COLUPF

You should change that to:
LDA #$06
STA COLUPF

The # sign tells the assembler to interpret the following as a number
instead of an address. If you leave it out, your program would read
the value, that is in the zeropage address 06, and store it into
the colour register. Address 06 is for reading collission detection
and would have an undefined value.

Also your program turns the Vsync signal off for three scanlines before
it turns it on for another three scanlines. That is unnessessary.
One STA Wsync before the STA Vsync to make sure the Vsync starts at the
beginning of the scanline should be enough.

Then your program sets the Tim64T timer during the three lines after
the STA Vsync. Some TV sets can not sync to that and will produce
a rolling picture. To make sure your program will work with most
TVs the syncronizing sequence should look like:
LDA #$02
LDX #$00
STA VBLANK
STA WSYNC
STA VSYNC
STA WSYNC
STA WSYNC
STA WSYNC
STX VSYNC

with nothing between the three STA WSYNC lines.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg