Re: [stella] Screen shots

Subject: Re: [stella] Screen shots
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:46:43 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, January 20, 1998 4:41 PM

>Yeah, I have to read it a byte at a time, but there'd be no parameter
>involved... I'm hoping to avoid calling my routine altogether if we're in
>mode 13h.

>I'm concerned about keeping mode 13h performance the same as it is.  I
>imagine it would go something like
>if modeX then gs=buffer else { gs=video seg; waitvsync(); }
>call DoFrame
>if ModeX then { waitvsync; call EriksVideo; }

Yeah, I went ahead and bit the bullet.  There's two copies of everything
now.  One set of macros for original mode 13, and one set for putting
undoubled pixels into a buffer.  Original mode 13 runs pretty much the same.
Mode 13 buffered (in the snippet of code in my previous post) is around 20%
slower.  But that code was just for testing :)

>Sounds good to me.  Call my file modex.asm .  Also, can I put a procedure
>ModeXInit in my file, and just have you call that to init mode-x?  (this
>way, *everything* I do is in modex.asm... cleaner that way, I think)  BTW,
>you don't need to do anything special to get out of mode-x - just setting
>the video mode to text mode works.

The only question I have left is about the palette.  Should I put it into
mode 13 and do the palette setup THEN call ModeXInit, or do you need to do
the whole thing?  If you need to do the whole thing, can we keep the palette
setting code common?

John