[stella] Source Code

Subject: [stella] Source Code
From: Garon Grainger <garon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 14:57:39 -0500
Greetings from yet another newbie lurker!

I'm just getting started. I've gathered a few tools, and have begun playing
with Nick's "How to Draw a Playfield". I managed to modified 5 lines of
code & have it now displaying "Atari" in different colors. Whoopee!

I have no reference material except what I've managed to find on the net.
The code is still quite beyond me. I'm just familiarizing myself with tools
and trying to do small mods. Nick's "Playfield" was a great primer. I
looked at the cart disassembles at Nick's site too, but felt they were a
little daunting at this point. So, I started looking through the archives
for similar small demos.

I found a few, but most of the older code submissions were targeted for
Bruce Tomlin's ASM6502 assembler. I began trying to convert them to run
under DASM, and   managed to learn a few things in the process. I changed
the mnemonic instruction set differences (DW to .word; DW to .byte; read a
post that said to change EQU to =, but DASM seems to work with either), ran
with verbose mode on and got rid of what errors I could determine. Mainly
unreferenced variable errors due to case sensitivity.

Of all the complete code examples I found, I was only able to get one of
the .A65 examples (modified to DASM) running. The use of the "@" symbol in
ASM6502 code for temporary branch labels generated an error in DASM, and in
correcting this I'm unsure if I got the branching right. I managed to get
most of the DASM stuff running, though there are a few that still aren't
running.

I'm running Win95 with WPlayBin to a Supercharger; though I've also tested
code on PCAE. I just got a copy of ASM6502 last night and compiled the
sample code & ran it through the SC with no problem. Converting to DASM
still didn't work, so I know I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway, I was hoping you all could look at the problem code and tell me
what is wrong. Since the code has been previously posted, I'd hate to waste
bandwidth by re-posting my modified code. So I decided the easiest thing to
do would be to put up a page.

I appreciate everything you guys are doing: the mailing list, all the
tech/programming info on web pages, everybody's discussion, etc. I in know
way want to step on any toes. The page idea was conceived as temporary
storage for feedback purposes. Right after I started working on it the
"Repository" posts started. I like the idea, it's a lot easier than hunting
through the archives (though there is no substitute for the follow-up
discussion in the mailing list).

I assumed that since this code is already available through the net, that
perhaps no one would mind me putting it up elsewhere as well. The traffic
on my site is almost non-existent <g>, and I currently don't have the
source code page linked to the rest of my site.

Please let me know if anyone has a problem with me posting their code, and
I'll promptly take it down. Glenn if you wish to keep posted source as
proprietary to the list that's fine too. As I said I'm just looking for
help and was trying to make things easier. Any comments or suggestions are
more than welcome. Complete corrected code able to run under DASM would be
fantastic!  :)

Code currently featured by the following programmers: Chris Cracknell,
Piero Cavina, Bob Colbert, J.V. Matthews, Eckhard Stolberg, and Jim Crawford.

Like I said, I have not contacted these people directly and asked explicit
permission to put up code; so any or all of this maybe coming down at their
request.

http://www.coastal.edu/~ggrainge/source/

Thanks,
Garon Grainger