Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 00:14:51 -0400
Erik Mooney wrote:
> There's also another issue we haven't touched - how do you do controls for
> high punch, high kick, low punch, low kick, and block with only one
> button?! :)

Haven't you ever played any karate-type games on any of the other
8-bit systems that used Atari-compatible joysticks? :)

Karate Champ, Kung-Fu Master, Karateka, International Karate,
IK+ etc etc etc... all had multiple height kicks and punches,
with various methods and success.  Block usually happens by
pushing away from your opponent when being attacked, and
the unused down diagonals are available both with and without
the button - there are 16 different combinations of directions
and button states - only maybe 6 or so of those are needed to
move the player - the remainder can be used for various attacks.
--
Robin Harbron    macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth