Re: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)

Subject: Re: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 12:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
> One thing I've wondered is if it's possible to overclock the 6507 in
> the 2600.  Maybe the 6507 in the 2600 Jr could handle running at the
> same speed as the TIA.  Has anyone every tried this?

Yeah, I did this once.  Actually, I was overclocking the TIA.  I had a
daughter board that clocked the TIA at 7.16MHz.  The 6507/TIA clock
interface I left alone, so the 6507 was running at 2.39MHz.  This was
easy enough...the tough part was intercepting the sync signal and frequency
adjusting it to provide the proper waveforms.  Ugh!  Unfortunately, I blew
up the entire thing trying to install the IR receiver board (this 2600 had
about 5 other boards plugged/hacked into it.  It was a spectacular explosion,
really...complete with shrapnel!  Anyway, I threw the whole thing away in
disgust.  Too bad I didn't have any design notes... :(

I think the TIA probably overheated and died somewhere in the process.
Although something else pretty severe would have been needed to physically
destroy it.  I didn't have a clue about programming the 2600 then, but
Combat looked pretty freaky. :)

Anyone trying to do this definitely needs to use *Big* heatsinks on all three
chips just in case.  Actually, the RF shield in a 2600jr would be perfect for
that...

-Chris