Re: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)

Subject: Re: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:48:23 -0700 (PDT)
> In a day where it takes 644K of RAM and PowerPC processors (often on
> computers with 32+ megs of RAM) just to emulate 2600's, why aren't we
> talking about making carts with megs of ROM or RAM, not just 4-64K?  Even
> if cost is a reason, what _would_ something like a
> one-meg-o'-ROM-I-dare-you-to-use-it-all cart cost to make (and does
> anyone know how to make it)?

Well, assuming that you _don't_ mean 1 megaBYTE...I'm developing it now.
The Megacart will have 128KByte (1 megabit) of ROM and 32KBytes of battery
backed SRAM.  I'm targeting $15 or less, though it'll be tight.

This is a new BSing architecture, so I've designed it with unlimited space
potential.  The only factor would be cost.  I have no idea what a 1megabyte
rom cartridge would cost, but using this architecture, I'd guess under $25.
But that's too expensive to be comercially feasible.

Gotta go!  I'll write more later!
-Chris