Re: [stella] PUSH playable demo #1

Subject: Re: [stella] PUSH playable demo #1
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 15:36:33 +0200
At 22:02 17.05.98 +1000, you wrote:
>Just thought I'd throw it out to the sharks and see if there's any interest.
>Feedback, at this stage, is very important to me.

I have tried it on my PAL VCS. On the positive side, I can say,
that it worked on the first try this time. :-)

Unfortunately the light green and the dark purple are very hard
to distinguish from the normal green and purple. (These are PAL
colours.) Also the flicker is noticable very much. For an action
type of game it would be OK, but if I'm trying to concentrate on
a level in a puzzle game, the flicker would annoy me quite a bit.

As much as I would like to see Sokoban on the VCS, I don't think
this is the way to go. Maybe you could use animated monochrome
playfield graphics for this game. Use checkered blocks for the
walls, full blocks for the boxes, blocks, that flip left and
right for empty goals and blocks that flip up and down for filled
goals.

There seems to be a problem with the timing in the movement
routine. If the player is moved, the screen jumps a bit, as
if one frame would produce more scanlines than normal.

This one level wasn't very hard, but I like Sokoban a lot.
If I could choose, I would like you to try a different approach
on this game instead of trying to find a different use for your
four colour playfield kernel. You might need to use a bigger
ROM than 4kb to fit in enough challenging levels, though.
Supercharger multiload might be ideal for this.

Thanks, Eckhard Stolberg