Re: [stella] Prop Cycles

Subject: Re: [stella] Prop Cycles
From: Chris Wilkson <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 16:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
> Last night I hooked up my 2600 and tried to "prop up" the Pitfall II
> cart, as described here earlier. Guess what? It *worked*! Thank you
> guys. Still I wonder if there's a way to get it working again without
> needing to be propped.

Kurt,

You probably can't do it without propping or without opening the cart and
doing some fancy soldering work.  The problem is the fact that the printed
circuit board is too thin. (figure a) Pushing the end of the cart simply
changes the angle of insertion to allow both sides of the board to make
contact with the connector. (figure b)  If you open the cart and add solder to
the contacts, they will be thicker and will make good contact, but if they're
too thick they could permanently deform the connector in the 2600.

Your Mangia cart may still have valid code.  If the contacts don't go all the
way to the edge of the board, they may not make contact on one side. (figure c)
Try pushing it the other way...

| = gold contact
/ = gold contact
X = bare circuit board

    |X|                    /X/               /X/

   fig a             fig b             fig c

Don't know about your interference problems...

-Chris