Re: [stella] a quickie

Subject: Re: [stella] a quickie
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:59:49 -0700 (MST)
> Here's another, very simple too... never JMP unless you can't really avoid
> it.  If you know that some status bit is always 0 or 1 at that point, use a
> branch instruction instead, to save a byte and some cycles.  And what if
> the brach is out of range? Easy: spend a couple of hours re-arranging your
> time-sensitive code to make that BNE possible. It happened to me, and might
> happen to you too... :)

I'd extend that rule to JSR's, if it gets tight enough.

> BitmapShape:
>  .byte $AA
>  .byte $23
> ZgyzLookupTable:
>  .byte $00
>  .byte $00
>  .byte $01 ; <- end of BitmapShape
>  .byte $01
>  .byte $02

Formatting idea... this might clear things up.

> BitmapShape:         ;BitmapShape:
>                        .byte $AA
>                        .byte $23
> ZgyzLookupTable:     ; .byte $00   ;data duplicated in
>  .byte $00           ; .byte $00   ;ZpyzLookupTable.
>  .byte $00	       ; .byte $01
>  .byte $01
>  .byte $01
>  .byte $02

> Lots of graphics data can be "compacted" in this way. Also, I ended
> changing the design of some graphics so that I could compact them better,
> and save some more bytes... wicked!

I did this to "Dark Mage" but Greg never implemented it.  I shaved TONS of
space off the fonts by using the Atari 800 font, which has a lot of room
for this kind of sharing.  Never got to test it because my version of
DASM won't compile his code.  I think I got the whole alphabet down to
like 126 bytes, using six-byte-high characters.  Original prototypes
used a seven-byte-high font, and I could have compacted that too, by
borrowing from the Commodore 64 font.