Re: [stella] Linux?

Subject: Re: [stella] Linux?
From: Bob Colbert <retroware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:38:54 -0500
At 06:04 PM 6/24/98 -0700, you wrote:

>FWIW, Dark Mage and This Planet Sucks! were written on my Linux system
>using NEDIT, DASM, XSTELLA, DISTELLA, and MAKEWAV.  I had to compile
>Distella and Makewav from Bob's source, and I think there was just a 10
>or 15 minute detour before they came out breathing fire...  I don't
>think any other programs were ever involved.  More and better tools are
>great, but I think there's a line you can cross over and start to dabble
>in the absurd...

I agree, Most of these programs are written in fairly portable code, and
they offer all of the necessary functionality already.  For example, if you
want to
do cycle counting, the best way to do so is to compile using DASM, then
disassemble using Distella with the cycle-counting flag on.  I don't know
if I added the page-boundry cycle to Distella, but it would be an easy
addition and would be all anyone needs.  Let's face it, programming for the
2600 is not for the novice, so I can't see anyone having any trouble using
the tools that are currently available.  Just my 2 cents...

					Bob