Re: [stella] Four-player adapter?

Subject: Re: [stella] Four-player adapter?
From: danboris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan Boris)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:48:36 -0400
> From ecwilkso@xxxxxxx Mon Sep 14 15:26:38 1998
> To: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> > When people on RGVC discuss about new games for the VCS, four-player
> > paddle versions of Combat or Indy 500 are always on the wishlist.
> > But I think those games should better be played with their nomal
> > controlers. Newer game systems all have a four-player adapter to
> > support these kind of games.
> >
> > My question is, if it would be possible to design a cheap and easy
> > to assemble four-player adapter for the VCS?
>
> I though this was already discussed here...?  Anyway, the hardware would
> be trivial for joysticks-only, more difficult but definitely doable for
> the entire port protocol.  I'll try to dig my 2600 specs out of storage
> and estimate the cost for parts.
>
> > From a programmers standpoint I think the easiest solution would
> > be to use one controler port for the input and the four output
> > pins of the second port to select the controler to read. Would
> > something like this be possible? Does a two port solution have
> > any advantages or disadvantages over a one port solution?

I actaully worked on a project last year with Bob Colbert to do something like this. I designed and built the hardware and he was going to do a 4 player game to utilize it. The project sorta died, but i did get as far as designing and building the hardware. I took the 2 port approach. You used the second port to select which of the four sticks you wanted to read, then used the first port to read the stick normally. If anyone is interested I can dig out my schematics and post them somewhere.

Dan Boris