Re: [stella] 2600 Programming on an Apple ][c

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 Programming on an Apple ][c
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:22:55 -0400
Chris Cracknell wrote:

> Woohoo! I just had a neighbour give me an Apple ][c that was just given to
> her by a friend. I had been contemplating picking one up at the Goodwill
> and now I won't have to.
>
> I was thinking about using it to write some Atari 2600 programs. Because
> this beastie is so small I could take it upstairs and sit in the livingroom
> with it, program away, and keep an eye on the baby all at the same time.
>
> I think there are some people on the list using Apple ][s for 2600 programming
> is there not? I have some questions for you guys if you don't mind.

Just thought I'd remind folks that Playbin is available -
it's a C64 program that does the job of both Makewave
*and* a wav player - it takes a binary in the C64's
memory and plays it out into a Supercharger.  A simple
demo program is included - the docs are available on
the web page, apart from the .lnx distribution file.

http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth/atari.html

It runs on a stock C64, and the only extra "hardware"
you need is a small cassette player or something that
has a line in and 1/8" jack out, so you can plug the
Supercharger in.

I'm pretty sure this is the fastest, most integrated
Atari 2600 development system around - your assembler,
source and playbin can all reside in memory together.
In my setup, two keystrokes will assemble and begin
playing the binary into the Supercharger - as soon
as it's done playing, I'm right back in the source,
with the cursor flashing, ready to continue to make
changes.  Fastest development on the real Atari
anyway - maybe it'd be faster if you set things up
nice on a PC with an emulator - I found it all
pretty tedious when I was trying things that way,
but maybe there's some way of automating it all,
with .bat files or something.

Chris:  I'm pretty sure a C64 is even smaller than
an Apple II ;)
--
Robin Harbron    macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx
   http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth