Re: [stella] 2600 Programming on an Apple ][c

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 Programming on an Apple ][c
From: Bob Colbert <retroware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 07:19:55 -0500
At 04:28 PM 9/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I seem to recall that the Apple][s have a machine language editor/assembler
>built into them (or is it just a ML monitor). If so, how do you access it
>and save the programs to disk and to the cassette port (which would be
>the earphone port on the ][c, right?). If it is just a monitor built in,
>then can someone recommend a good assembler/editor for the Apple ][?

Yep, there is a mini-assembler built in, but I don't remember how to use
it, it basically assembled 1 opcode at a time... very basic, but I actually
used it to write a couple of Apple // programs way back!  I used to use the
LISA assembler, and I belive the other big one was called Merlin.  I think
they are both available via ftp.asimov.com or something like that...

>Also is there a program for the PC that will let it read Apple ][ disks
>(It doesn't have to emulate an apple ][, just read the disks).

Nope, it doesn't exist.  Now if you have an Amiga, you can get a 1020 drive
with Apple 2000, which has a small utility that allows you to read Apple //
disks, but not write to them.

>Now if I can just find an Apple ][c LCD display sometime in the thrifts.
>(I've seen some and now I'm kicking myself for not getting them).

I've never even seen one.... I wouldn't mind picking one up myself, I found
a Laser 128ex a while back that supports the LCD, it also has a memory card
in it and it runs at 1, 2.1, and 3.2 mhz!  Better yet, it only cost $3 :)

				Later,
					Bob