Re: [stella] This may not be fixable... or is it?

Subject: Re: [stella] This may not be fixable... or is it?
From: Lord Spambraticus of Borg <lord-of-hell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 13:36:09 +1000
On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 07:55:05 -0700 krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Glenn Saunders)
wrote:

>Most 2600 fans don't mind the lines.  I know I don't.  It's part of what
>gives the TIA display its uniqueness.

Yes!  I remember all sorts of TIA kookiness (I didn't KNOW it was TIA kookiness
when I was a kid mind you!) like that -- I just took it for granted as part of
the "scenery" really.  There were all sorts of "operating anomalies" such as
when you powered up Space Invaders with the START switch down, you'd get two
shots instead of one (sorta - it was weird, like you'd get more like "1-1/2"
shots)... but it was my first "hack by discovery" sorta thing. :)

>There are ways to cover it up, but all of them involve either wasting a
>sprite object (like the ball) and/or constricting your usable horizontal
>resolution.  I don't really see the need for doing that.

Naw, it's not that big of a problem.

By the way, in going through some old roms (and reliving memories), it's
occurred to me (as it's probably occurred to many others) that it'd be really
handy to have those old manuals for these games.  Some of them aren't that
obvious!

Oy, and to think I loaned my entire (carefully preserved, mind you, I was a
freak about keeping everything nice) cache of Atari 2600 stuff to a friend who
of course lost/gave them away/whathaveyou. GRRRRR.

Ah well....

=R=

-- Macintosh 2600 programmers: DASM ported to MPW! by yours truly --
-- Get it at http://members.aol.com/~mactari/                     --