Re: [stella] Atari 7800

Subject: Re: [stella] Atari 7800
From: danboris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan Boris)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:29:46 -0500
> From krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx Mon Nov 16 16:21:15 1998
> To: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [stella] Atari 7800
> Sender: owner-stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
>

> Memory is cheap, so why not waste a little?
>
> I think a much more viable solution is for new games to merely cut and
> paste the monitor-cart code and only use memory outside of that 4K space.
> There is still plenty of memory (plug banking) available for games this
> way.

I guess the only issue here is getting permission from Harry Dodgson to use his code in the carts.

On the subject of bankswitching, the bankswitching hardware on the 7800 carts is handled by discrete logic on the cart, so it's easy to modify and existing bankswitch cart to work with a EPROM, and still retain the bankswitching ability.

Dan Boris