[stella] IDEs, DASM and DPMI

Subject: [stella] IDEs, DASM and DPMI
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 03:22:37 GMT
I was thinking about the IDE thing when I realized that the IDE for Turbo
C++ (DOS) allows you to define your own external programs.  So I went and
tried setting up the "transfer programs" to run DASM, Wplaybin, and PCAE.
If this worked, I'd definitely use the IDE for programming the 2600 - a
programming-oriented text editor with hotkeys for compile and run would
be great.  The concept seems alright, but DASM (Bob Colbert's DOS
version) doesn't seem to like this setup.  It terminates immediately and
reports "Load error: can't switch mode" .  That happens even if I run
DASM from a DOS shell from the C++ IDE.  My guess is that DASM doesn't
like it if the system is already under a DPMI loader, which TC++ uses.
For a check on that, I tried running DASM under Turbo Debugger (also uses
DPMI) and not TC++ - same thing.  I tried peeking at the DASM source, but
I'm far from a C++ wizard; the text of that error message doesn't even
appear in the DASM source - I'd guess it's an artifact of gcc.  (This is
all running the DOS prompt in a Win 95 DOS box - I haven't tried it under
plain DOS but I suspect the same results.)

Any ideas, either on DASM or on a different adaptable IDE?