Re: [stella] Big Balls

Subject: Re: [stella] Big Balls
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:26:10 -0800
Well, it turns out something I said about the two cycle delay was
incorrect.  I wasn't looking at the screen carefully.  When you hit a
ball that's 4 pixels wide with a two instruction cycle delay, you can
see 2 extra pixels between the balls making it look solid.  So there's
another case of ball stretching.

BTW, I did a little more testing with wide players and I've still not
seen more than one sprite on a line.  And other than the unstable.bin
demo that only works for me :-) I've never seen a partial sprite.  Once
output has started on a player or missile, RESPx in the middle never
stops the output.  It always finishes.  Balls are different in this
respect.

I'm still fascinated by the differences we've seen between different
machines.  I keep wondering if the differences are caused by different
TIA chips, or some other timing anomoly inside the machine.  Maybe the
clocking is slightly different, maybe skewed on one machine but not the
other.  I wonder if anybody knows if there was really more than one
version of TIA chip?  Or if maybe it's just because certain aspects of
the machine timing were "cleaned up" on later versions of VCS, like the
JR and 7800?

John