Re: [stella] a "pot" of confusion

Subject: Re: [stella] a "pot" of confusion
From: Mark De Smet <mdesmet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 04:16:30 -0500
>>it sounds to me like you're saying that if it takes a certain amount of
>time for
>>the paddle bit to
>>be set due to the potentiometers, i could keep track of how long it takes
>by using
>>a counter and
>>if it gets larger or smaller i could place the player/block/whatever
>>accordingly...am i right?
>
>You could do that, but usually the counter value will be treated as
>an absolute position for the player. Like when the counter is 48, put
>the sprite at pixel 48 for this frame, if it is 123, put the sprite
>at pixel 123 etc.

Well, whatever you do, make sure that you have plenty of extra 'space' on
both ends.  By space, I mean extra numbers.  So that if you count from 0 to
255, make sure that only, for instance, 64 to 192 are on the screen.  As
much as some people hate that extra turn space at the ends of all paddle
games(such as the all fav. Kaboom!), it is neccessary.  Because of the
charge timing method used, the scheme is very dependant on the value of the
capacitor and resistance.  There is some tolerance in both.  Furthermore, if
the contacts(the DB-9 joystick port) of the person's paddle is more
corroded(as with old equiptment), there would be a higher minimum resistance.

Mark