Re: [stella] Thinking like a computer (harder than it sounds)

Subject: Re: [stella] Thinking like a computer (harder than it sounds)
From: "Ronald A. Laski, Jr." <rlaski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 02:59:22 -0500
>24 bytes = cards in our draw pile
>21 bytes = down cards in the build piles
> 7 bytes = top up card in the build piles
>(that's 52 bytes for 52 cards so far)
>14 bytes = up cards below the top card in the build piles
> 4 bytes = ace piles (unordered; in order only 2 bytes)
>--------
>70 bytes
>
>Not a big bad number considering that we've done very little compressing
>or encoding...  Plenty of room (58 bytes) left for other program variables,
>don't you think?
>
>So Peter, is it done yet?  :-)
>
>//*================================================================++
>||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #105   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
>||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||
>++================================================================*//
>

>--
>Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/
>Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/

Why not use 52 bytes to point to where the card is located? (the order of
the mem would be the order of the deck, ie the card value itself) but the
data points to it's location (drawn, not drawn, face up, face down and in
which column, or the ace pile) you could adjust the shuffling routine to
shuffle the pointers into the initial deal.. (of course i may be missing
something altogether here)

Ron

rlaski@xxxxxxxxxxx