RE: [stella] 7800 programs -- potential problems?

Subject: RE: [stella] 7800 programs -- potential problems?
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:07:30 -0800
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> How hard is it to build larger carts like what the 7800 had in
> its final days?

Making a 128K EPROM cart from an already existing Super-Game cart is a
little tricky since the 128K EPROMS have more pins than the carts have
holes.  Some *artistic* soldering would be needed.  But there's nothing to
say you can't use real PROMS.  Although I've tried neither, 48K flat model
and 64K bankswitched carts should be possible to make by just plugging an
EPROM where the PROM was.  You don't need to add an extra inverter or
anything since having the chip select active low was an option on the
Super-Game boards.  I think they used PROMS that were active low anyway.

> Who will be the one to do the first proof of concept on this?

I think Eckhard mentioned the hack of Decathlon he did.  That binary was 12K
though, and I don't know what other changes were needed, but it ran
flat-model (like some emulators do anyway).

John