Re: [Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons]

Subject: Re: [Re: [stella] Hardware comparisons]
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 15:22:47 -0700 (PDT)
> with all this talk about the add on (32x for the
> genisis and supercharger for the 2600) it remined me
> of an article that appeared in Radio -electronics
> back in '82-83(it was a three part article).  It was
> a project for building an atachement for the 2600
> that will let you copy your carts on to cassette
> tapes.

Well, you didn't exactly ask about this, but here's
something else for you to chew on.  Keep in mind, I
was still a yungun when the Atari first went down in
'84.  As such, information gleened from video game
magazines at the time may be a little inaccurate (as
opposed to the more recent wave).  So it's possible
that what I'm about to write was a prank, or a
physical construction that never really materialized.
Atari and vaporware do go back a ways....
     Anyhoo, just before the market crashed, I saw a
picture of a device and read a short blurb about what
may have been a disk drive for the 2600.  One end
plugged into the 2600 cartridge slot.  You programmed
some stuff on an Atari computer (I guess a 400 or 800,
uncertain) and put it on a 5 1/4" floppy (remember
when those were a big deal, kids?).  You then put the
floppy in this device, and it would run the program on
the 2600.
     I don't swear by this, mainly because I am
unaware of any other reference to it.  I checked the
2600 faq and didn't see it, but I admit I wasn't
paying the strictest attention to that part, just
skimming over it, looking for the keyboard attatchment
by SpectraVideo.  Still, it sounds roughly analogous
to what you are descibing about the tape drive.
Assuming my memory and the report were on the level,
finding an Atari whatever computer could yeild the
clues you need to build the device.
     And I'm not asking this to be sarcastic, but
wouldn't Radio Shack have the parts that the dealers
that went out of business stocked?  Or has the
inventory advanced too much from 1983 for them to
bother with it?

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.