RE: [stella] Stella @ 20

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella @ 20
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 22:11:44 -0700
At 04:35 PM 8/25/2000 -0500, you wrote:
Maybe you should put together a documentary about the "documentary" and
include all of the cutting room floor stuff?

To be perfectly honest, the video isn't selling well enough to justify any more volumes. If we do release another, it would mean an almost guaranteed net loss even if we went to a Just In Time manufacturing model.

That's not to say we won't do it, but that it wouldn't be financially motivated. Even if we do sell out both volumes it will not pay for the total overhead on it.

Maybe sales will pick up if word of mouth is good on Volume 1, but I had the tape running at the CG Expo and although it was just a little 13" TV with a tiny speaker, I was still surprised how little attention it got from passer-bys.

It would have worked a lot better as something on TV that people stumble across while channel surfing. But this was the only other way we had to get the footage seen. So unfortunately some of the people who probably should take the time to watch it won't because they don't know about the tapes or aren't into the idea enough to put in a formal order for it.

BTW, as far as future projects, we have been working very hard behind the scenes to get some kind of mainstream emulator project off the ground and so far we've only met with corporate dead ends.

I do think the combination of the Stella emulator core and the Stella at 20 footage could make for a kick ass product, and it's baffling to me why we have gotten so much disrespect and cold-shoulders from some of these people. Lots of promises to follow up which either don't happen or happen whenever these people feel like it. Kindof a don't call us we'll call you attitude. Or we start up negotiations and then things would stall for months and finally they say no. This stuff moves at a glacial pace, which is sad since a project like this with so much material in the can would be cheap to produce and could get out the door very quickly.

But then one individual at CG Expo told me he had a 1:1 throughput 2600 emulator for Playstation in the can and Activision still chose not to use it for Activision Classics. Plus Activision failed to offer us respectable compensation to use any of the Stella at 20 footage on it either. When you've got that level of stupidity running the operations of these companies, you can't expect beautiful and persuasive proposal documents to add up to much.

I know some of you may be wondering why Hasbro hasn't released a 2600 emu yet, and now you know. They just don't think the numbers add up. We could have plopped this into their lap with little effort on their part but they chose not to do it at all.

For those out there who are big fans of Cyberpunks products and would like to see what we could do on an official Hasbro or Activision title, Games.com online site, or a Discovery channel special, please write to them and let them know about it.

We'd greatly appreciate it, because it's been a lonely and exhausting battle.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/