[stella] SFCaves 2600...

Subject: [stella] SFCaves 2600...
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 20:02:53 -0500 (CDT)
I've decided to give another throw at a game.  Simon wasn't all that
exciting, and I need an easier project to start with before I go back to
my supercart.

SFCaves for the 2600.  For those that don't know, it is a game for the
palm.  If you have never seen it, you can check out a simplified web/java
version at http://www.meighan.com/sfcave/  The jist is that you are a
ribbon moving through a cave.(therefore a horizontal scroller)  The goal
is simply not to hit the walls, or the obsticles.  You have a thrust type
control, and the gravity is very strong.

Anyway, I was wondering if Thomas would be willing to share how he went
about drawing the screen in thrust?  The killer limitations are memory,
and time to convert the data into the bytes for the playfield during the
kernal.  I wanted to generate the cave shape on the fly, which I can
handle during off screen time fine, but how then to I make those bytes
into playfield data?

Thomas, how did you draw the ground?  How did you store the data?

Mark