Re: [stella] Looping

Subject: Re: [stella] Looping
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 20:37:44 -0500 (CDT)
> >Thomas, how did you draw the ground?  How did you store the data?
>
> I think for this sort of game you'd want to do it sortof like River Raid,
> with poly counters, to make the cavern layout algorithmic calculated data
> on the fly rather than literal data.

That was the plan.  In order to do that however, it means that the world
data has to be stored in ram, as opposed to being able to use 10 times as
much space in rom.  Storing the height or angle values as generated in my
alg. useing LFSR's, is easy, but taking those and putting them into bytes
that I can store into playfield registers is that part I am unsure how to
do.

> Actually, the game this most closely resembles from the arcades would be
> LOOPING, a fairly obscure title that I remember quite fondly, where the

Um, did you see the java version of the game at that web site?  If the
arcade version is anything like the coleco version as Rob says, then the
game play is very different.  There is no shooting, you don't steer, and
you are acted upon by gravity.  As to movement and drawing of the screen,
I would more closely liken it to super cobra(Thanks to John Harvey's
suggestion), with your control similar to the control in Thrust, but only
in the vertical direction.

Mark