RE: [stella] Why write for the 2600

Subject: RE: [stella] Why write for the 2600
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:49:44 -0700
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> Stellalist was created as a forum or community for aspiring 2600
> programmers, in order to pool resources and (hopefully) get more, better
> stuff done than we could do independently.  If you read the charter, it's
> not so different from what I'd like to see at GameDevelopers.Net.
>  It's all
> about teamwork.

Yes but focus on the 2600.  There are probably a half a million wannabe game
programmers that are doing other stuff and a gazillion web sites already
serving their needs.  You don't really have a snowballs chance of making an
impact.  There's a market all right but its already being well taken care
of.

[snip]

> I know all of you don't make much money from your games, so the
> reward has
> to be in large part the recognition that comes from those who play your
> games.  So the more exposure, the better, right?
>
> That's why I'm opening up the debate to see what the consensus opinion
> might be...

Well I think what is happening is that you sat down to write a 2600 game and
your mind is wandering.  ;-)  You're realizing how hard it is and you're
realizing how little the traditional reward is.  You're wondering why oh why
am I doing this.  Maybe you're documenting the creative process in a
wonderful way.  But in the end it's the game that matters.  The process of
creation which is it's own reward.  So get back to work Glenn.  We're here
to help.

John