Re: [stella] Closed Captions (Again)

Subject: Re: [stella] Closed Captions (Again)
From: A Braunsdorf <ab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 02:43:41 -0500
In message <5.0.0.25.0.20001122232050.0220e428@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Glenn Saun
ders writes:

> Now that's an idea.  The trick would be to get the 2600 to accept lines of
> text on the fly from an external source and feed it in through the joystick
> ports somehow.  Then you can store your entire transcript on the PC or
> something.

That would be the way to go.

> BTW, I'm pretty sure an Atari 8-bit or Amiga can also be told to draw above
> and below standard video, but certainly doing it with the 2600 would be coole
> r.

Me too, but it's about as hairy a setup for me either way.  I guess
I've got enough Amigas to run another one into my Toaster, but my
Toaster machine won't do that while it's a switcher.  It'll blow
text out a parallel or serial (or even audio) port, though.

> Also, you do know that you need to feed the 2600 through a TBC in order to
> introduce interlace into the signal, right?  There are issues with sprite
> flicker when you do this, but I don't think that would be a problem with
> playfield.

Shouldn't be a problem for my real CC needs because the 2600 won't
draw anything visible.  I was going to put it on one of the (time
base corrected) inputs of my Toaster, run the video to be captioned
in another one and combine the two.  (Now that I think about it,
I don't remember if I've tried passing CC through those TBCs.
Better try that before I do more.)

We'll see what happens for other purposes once we get it working,
I guess. :-)

ab