Re: [stella] disassemblies and other stuff

Subject: Re: [stella] disassemblies and other stuff
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:12:53 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a sure-fire disassembly method out there
> anyone could share with me.  The two methods I know of are diStella and
> using PCAtari.
>
> I tried disassembling Super Challenge Football with diStella and it left
> large patches.

You should create a config file for SCF, where you define CODE, DATA and GFX blocks. The GFX blocks will give you a graphical impression of the data.

Here is a part of River Raid:

       .byte $2A ; |  X X X | $FCC1
       .byte $3E ; |  XXXXX | $FCC2
       .byte $1C ; |   XXX  | $FCC3
       .byte $08 ; |    X   | $FCC4
       .byte $49 ; | X  X  X| $FCC5
       .byte $6B ; | XX X XX| $FCC6
       .byte $7F ; | XXXXXXX| $FCC7
       .byte $7F ; | XXXXXXX| $FCC8
       .byte $3E ; |  XXXXX | $FCC9
       .byte $1C ; |   XXX  | $FCCA
       .byte $08 ; |    X   | $FCCB
       .byte $08 ; |    X   | $FCCC
       .byte $08 ; |    X   | $FCCD

My River Raid config file looks like this:
GFX FB00 FBB6
GFX FBEF FDB0
GFX FE00 FEFF
GFX FFB3 FFD2

DATA FBB7 FBD4
DATA FDB1 FDD7
DATA FDF6 FDFF
DATA FF23 FF5A
DATA FFF7 FFFF

So, the first step is to start diStella with the -i option, then you have to find out where the data, code and graphics are. Then create a config file, which you can improve step by step.

tjentzsch at web dot de |
Alles unter einem Dach: Informationen, Fun, E-Mails. Bei WEB.DE: http://web.de
Die große Welt der Kommunikation: E-Mail, Fax, SMS, WAP: http://freemail.web.de