Re: [stella] Kid Vid Voice Module

Subject: Re: [stella] Kid Vid Voice Module
From: "Russell Babylon" <babylon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:09:38 -0500
> Kid Vid support would almost invariable have to be a hack using WAV or
> preferably MP3 samples.  I don't see the point in emulating the protocol
> faithfully and having the 2600 emulation "listen" to the samples.  With
> only two games, I'm sure it would be possible to hardcode a lot of the
> logic just to get the games working.

Because of the nature of the tape medium and the interface I think it would
be very difficult, if not impossible, to build in support for the Kid Vid
games into one of the existing emulators.  It would probably require a
dedicated program to emulate the game and its associated audio information
correctly.  As I stated in my earlier post, the preamble of the tapes passes
information to the 2600 which then determines which game to play.  After the
game is under way the tape contains additional information which tells the
Atari to turn off the tape player when appropriate.  I have only begun to
scratch the surface of the game code to determine how it determines which
action to implement.  The code must take into account all of the variables
that are likely to occur when using a tape player such as speed variations,
tape stretch, the phase of the moon etc.

Russ Babylon