Re: [stella] missile vs. player copies

Subject: Re: [stella] missile vs. player copies
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 13:19:58 +0100
Thomas Jentzsch wrote:

> By looking a little closer at the graphics i finally found a simple solution:
> Both large objects are quad-width players which are shiftet 2 pixels every second line. This gives the illusion of a higher resolution than there really is.

Whoa! You're right!
I just didn't recognize it, so good the graphic conversion is done!
I should have noticed that. For my 'Star Fire' I was experimenting with
that shifting too, in order to make some really large & good looking
enemy ships.

But for that tricky approach you need certain shapes. For example I was
trying to draw the cowboys for my Outlaw remake with that technique,
like this:

|				|
|    normal resolution head	|
|				|
|								|
| 		double resolution body + gun			|
|								|
|				|
|    normal resolution feet	|
|				|

Looked brilliant with 0° gun angle, but in the end it didn't work out
for two reasons:

- On the 60° angles the gun would be as high as the head (or as low as
the feet).
- On that angle the gun looked crappy with or without shifting.

Besides in the meantime I decided to do the gun in a different colour
than the cowboy, so I can do a multicolor cowboy now + I always have a
black gun.

Greetings,
	Manuel

-