Re: [stella] Qb, 2600, PC, adios

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb, 2600, PC, adios
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:11:55 -0500
At 10:13 AM 3/24/01 +0100, Manuel Polik wrote:
>Uhm... that is the root of all that's evil, the Z-80, you're talking
>about? *shiver*

No, the GBA is a 32-bit RISC processor of some kind, supposedly equivalent
to a Pentium-75 or 100 for most tasks.  I'll get one as soon as they have
RAM carts for it as with the GBC.

>Please tell me that I'm wrong here, but you didn't think you could've
>made a living out of 2600 coding? That's at least an impression I got.

I can't speak for Andrew, but the brief amount of time I had to spend on
2600 programming in early 2000 opened me up to a lot of other interesting
coding experiences I thought were beyond me.  I'm normally more of a "glue
guy" so doing low level stuff again was pretty inspiring.  While the
techniques are very different, I can easily see how pushing the 2600 to its
limit might help you with efficient game coding for something like the GBA.
 And his rapid progress and gracious acceptance of criticism can only bode
well for his prospects in writing code for commercial games.

Rob

-