Re: [stella] SCSIcide gameplay update

Subject: Re: [stella] SCSIcide gameplay update
From: "Erik J. Eid" <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:14:14 -0400
At 07:28 PM 6/15/01 -0400, Joe Grand wrote:
I've made the color of the drivehead change to the color you need to read, so it solves some of the eye-strain issues of having to look up (at the score) or down (at the byte counter) to check the next color.. I'm probably going to slow down the speed increments, too, so it will take a few more screens before it gets dizzying fast..

I think that will help, though it may make it harder to see with some of the less vibrant colors (like the dark gray).

Maybe to add to the challenge in later rounds, you could rotate the colors that are used in each row. So far, the top row always has the gray bit, the next row has the orange bit, the third white, and so on. By changing this color pattern, it would require the player to look carefully as to what area of the screen he needs to move to read the next bit.

I definitely agree with what you posted on your web site - make the data bits smaller as the game goes on.

You could increment the difficulty much like Ms. Pac-Man in the arcade. After each intermission is a set of four boards (except early on), and the first is the easiest of the batch, with the ghosts moving slower and staying blue longer. You could mix the different increases in difficulty (speed, bit size, bit color changes) with each level, making some factors a little easier once in a while.

It may also help the player's nerves to get a three to five second breather between levels. :) This would be particularly important if you were to shuffle colors, as it would give him a chance to figure out where the colors are.

It's quite fun so far... I've yet to beat the 20000 mark in my score, though. I think a Gravis GamePad just isn't built for the game. :)

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/