Aw: Re: [stella] Starmaster disassembled

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Starmaster disassembled
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:33:31 +0200 (CEST)
Von: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
> Manuel wrote:

> > You know that I toyed around with that source quite some time too, but I
> > was far from completition.

> How could I forget that? I'm getting old... :(

:-)

> > And then it was the first thing I did when starting on the VCS.
> > But since my attempt was to explain every single line in the source, my
> > efforts might be a nice additional lecture for some, so I'll just
> > thought to post  my stuff here in this context.

> I like your comments, there are very detailed. We should compare and combine
> our stuff.

I still plan to continue my 'Star Fire 2600' one day, which
actually made me start disassembling Starmaster. When doing so I'll
have to analyse your efforts anyway (You'll see that I haven't even
touched the Starmaster kernel so far... :-)). doing so, I might as well
try to merge both sources.

But Gunfight first. (There'll maybe be the third part of my 'The Final Kernel'
Trilogy soon :-) --> thanks to your notes lying around here, still waiting to
be integrated... if possible :-))

Then I'll do that 'Zooming Tie-Fighters' demo
I'm thinking about for ages now; and then --> maybe... :-)

The ultra-hard part of doing Star Fire is, that it has to compete
with Starmaster, which unfortunately is - just perfect!

BTW: I had in mind of doing a little Starmaster mod before finally starting
with Star Fire. The idea was to do a 'Combat Trainer for Starmaster' ie. to
have all strategy parts removed, like the map, the warping and other stuff, to
just present increasingly more difficult enemies to the player, so that one
can really *train* for the higher levels of Starmaster.

This was additionally intended to analyse if it still would be fun,
or if this actually was tearing the heart out of the game.
(Which I fear would be the case :-))

> > Beware: As I said, it was the first thing I ever touched on the VCS, so
> > my coments might be misleading and/or false. In any case of doubt just
> > rely on what Thomas says :-)

> Hey, I'm NOT god (or the pope :-). I make mistakes too (look at my in
> english :-).
> I already found a wrong possible optimization in my posted code (and two
> correct ones :-).

:-)

BTW: If anyone is interested in another halfway finished disassembly,
commented like the Starmster bits I sent - I still have this
'outlaws.s' lying around here. I still plan to make a tutorial out
of it, but if one can't wait another year I might as well send it
as a preview... :-)

Greetings,
     Manuel

Mehr Geld? Die günstigsten Konditionen?