Re: [stella] Starmaster disassembled

Subject: Re: [stella] Starmaster disassembled
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 00:31:24 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> <grumble>
> Why - Oh Why - is flicker accepted everywhere in the classic
> games, but not in mine...
> </grumble>

Because you're special?   Because you can rebuild it?  Faster?  Stronger?
Better than it was before?  I think you can.  You have the technology.

:P

> Hm... I must admit, that I've never thought about doing such a big
> project before. In fact, I'm not too certain about what a bigger ROM size
> would gain for the gameplay. Wouldn't for example the
> 'main action display' have to run completely in 4K anyways?

I agree with um...was it Glenn?  More ROM, and in the case of more starbases,
etc, more RAM would help a lot.  I don't think your 'main action display'
has to fit completely in 4K.  It only takes 3 cycles to switch banks.
(e.g. "LDA $FFF8" and it's done)

But surely it doesn't take you a whole 4K for just the kernel?  :P

You could swap banks during vertical blank, do some game logic/calculations,
poke some RAM, and switch back to the display routine.  Even then, you only
lose 6 processor cycles total (per iteration).

Just some thoughts...

-Chris

-